Your Commercial Building & Water Damage
Big or Small, SERVPRO of Langley can handle it all!
When Water Damage occurs in a business, the biggest concern is how quickly can I open back up or run normal? SERVPRO of Langley has trained technicians that are ready 24-7, 365 days a year to respond immediately to water damage at your business. We have the experience, expertise and training to restore your business as quickly as possible. Our technicians closely monitor and document the drying process to ensure your property is back to normal.
Top 5 Causes of Water Damage in a Business
- SPRINKLER SYSTEM – Many commercial businesses have sprinkler systems. Of course, these are great when you have a fire damage, but not so great when they malfunction. Always inspect for damage have a set time each year for inspection. Replace any questionable sprinklers.
- PLUMBING PROBLEMS – Pipes are susceptible to clogs, backups, leaks or damages. Look for signs of rust, staining, cracking or bulging. Leak detection systems are valuable and inexpensive, and an alarm will sound if it senses anything. If your building is in a low temperature area, it is best to insulate your pipes.
- BROKEN APPLICANCES OR EQUIPMENT – If your business has equipment that uses water and has tubes, pipes, gaskets or filters, these should be checked regularly. Replace water lines regularly, re-caulk and reseal.
- ROOF LEAKS – Check your roofing regularly. If water is puddling like a pond, then there may be a drainage problem. Every inch of water weighs in around five pounds.
- FLOODS/MOTHER NATURE – Natural disasters like hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and flash flooding can do major damage to your business. Of course, we cannot control Mother Nature, but we can be ready for it. Keeping gutters clean, having barriers if needed and storing important files or electronics at higher levels can help.
There is no way to completely eliminate all risks of water damage to your business, but having common practices and a good maintenance checking system in place can help reduce your risks. And if you do have a water damage call the professionals to help, SERVPRO of Langley at 778-552-7762
Smoke from fire damage
What is Ozone?
Ozone, sometimes called "activated oxygen”. It differs from normal oxygen (O2) in having three atoms in its molecule (O3). That is why it’s the second most powerful sterilant and can be used to destroy bacteria, viruses and odors.
How Does Ozone Work?
When contaminants such as odors, bacteria or viruses make contact with ozone, they are destroyed completely by oxidation. In so doing, that extra atom of oxygen is consumed and there is nothing left...no odor...no bacteria...no extra atom, only oxygen. Ozone reverts back to oxygen after it is used.
WILL THE ODOR COME BACK?
No. If ozone is applied properly it destroys (oxidizes) the source of the odor. However, in the case of mildew the odor will return if you are unable to get rid of the moisture that is the source of the mildew.
HOW DOES OZONE HANDLE CIGARETTE SMOKE?
It eliminates the irritation caused by phenol gasses, by oxidizing them. Phenol gasses are the invisible part of tobacco smoke that causes such discomfort to one's eyes and create the offensive odors. Ozone rids any environment of the effects of smoke completely, rather than merely filtering out the visible particles.
Spring Cleaning is here-Remove the Mold!
Possibly areas of mold growth you can help prevent?
Your spring cleaning checklist should include a check for mold wherever there is moisture present in your home. That includes the obvious places, like under the kitchen sink, around the washer, or inside the bathroom. It should also include the attic, in places where there has been water leakage in the past, and in the basement, especially in dark corners or where exterior landscaping may cause water to pool. Mold can often be seen by the naked eye, appearing as a stain, a furry growth, or even just pinpricks of colour. If there is anything in your home that you suspect might be mold growth, the safest thing to do is call a professional mold specialist like SERVPRO of Langley to determine what it is, and to facilitate removal if necessary.
Mold can cause discomfort, property damage, and negative health effects regardless of your age, sickness, or general health. Common symptoms of mold growth in the home include itchy watery eyes, sneezing, and persistent headaches. To grow, mold only needs a stable temperature, an organic material, and water to set up a colony that can quickly spread throughout your home.
Household cleaners, bleaches, and germicides are not effective against mold growth, and can even help spread the problem to other areas of your home.
Mold likes to grow on organic materials; wood, paper, textiles, grout, and drywall are all common materials. While dusting, vacuuming, and wiping down surfaces is likely already a part of your spring cleaning checklist, it can also have the added bonus of cleaning and removing spores or food sources that mold needs to grow.
This April, add a mould inspection to your spring cleaning checklist for peace of mind and a healthier, safer home environment.
Bleach Does NOT Kill Mold!
Most people think that bleach with completely get rid of their mold problem. In fact, bleach will only remove the color or stain of mold and will, in some cases, will allow toxic mold to grow where it was not present before. Read below to see how mold is properly cleaned and the affects that bleach has on mold.
Mold - that scary four letter word that no home or business owner ever wants to hear. If you do end up in the unfortunate situation that mold is growing in your building, what do you do? Many have been told “simply wash down the affected area with a bleach solution”. Yes, bleach is a powerful product that can sanitize surfaces and kill bacteria, however, bleach does not kill mold!
A bleach mixture is a great solution to use when cleaning your non-porous shower stalls or wiping down your hard surface countertops. However, using bleach on a porous surface such as wood or drywall where mold is traditionally found, is a different story.
Mold is a term that refers to fungi that grow in the form of multicellular thread-like structures, which grow into colonies. On a porous surface, the mold colonies grow into the pores of the material, much like a tree’s roots grow deep into the ground. Bleach is only able to kill what lies on the surface of the porous material, leaving what lies below the surface to continue to grow. To the eye, it appears that you’ve killed the mold that is growing, but unfortunately this is not true. The mold will then grow back stronger, deeper, and spread more since it’s embedded into the pores of the material.
If your home or business are affected by mold, call us today at 778-552-7762 SERVPRO of Langley will completely restore your property from mold damage with the correct equipment and solutions.
Emergency Ready Plan to Protect Your Commercial Property
No job is ever too big for SERVPRO of Langley
Commercial Water Damage Tip: Make a Plan
While thinking through possible commercial water damage scenarios for your business, you made notes of the solutions you came up with for your “what if?” questions. Now put your thinking into action to craft an emergency plan for your business. A good emergency plan should provide for the safety of all people who could enter your business, as well as set forth processes and procedures for carrying on with business during a variety of challenges. Here at SERVPRO of Langley we have something we like to offer called a Emergency Ready Plan.
It should include, at the very least:
- an emergency contact list (accessible from off-site)
- emergency procedures
- emergency staffing instructions
- vendor lists and contact info
- Data backup plans and other resources to support business operations in case you have to temporarily or permanently relocate your business operations.Stuff gets old. It breaks. It fails. When plumbing or water-management equipment in your commercial facility fails, the resulting water damage restoration costs can stack up fast. So the operative word for commercial water damage prevention is maintenance.
- Routinely inspect all visible plumbing, test basement sump pumps, check exterior gutters and downspouts, muck out drainage ditches and storm drains and ensure roof structures are in good repair. Commercial property managers generally agree that a water leak on a commercial property is the most costly problem you can have, often costing thousands of dollars to mitigate, once the problem develops. Good property maintenance can lop off a big chunk of commercial water damage risk, so don’t cut corners on repairs.
- Commercial Water Damage Tip: Inspect, Repair, Repeat
Wind Storms - Are you READY?
Wind storm brought down trees and cut power in Metro Vancouver
Storm damage prevention and treatment. There is no doubt trees can cause damage and be damaged in storms. However, appropriately placed and maintained trees can help reduce damage to structures in storms by deflecting wind, and reduce damage to trees. That is just one of the many things to prepare for when you know that a storm is brewing. Regardless, you are not alone in any disaster. Just remember to call SERVPRO of Langley for help 24/7 (778-552-7762)
About SERVPRO of Langley
SERVPRO of Langley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Flood? Leaking? When crawl spaces are effected Call us
Flooded crawl space in Surrey, BC
Finding out that water damage has affected your home is never an exciting moment. That’s because cleaning up water damage can be stressful, tedious and overwhelming for those who lack the experience and knowledge it takes to remove water damage properly. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be this way! Water damage remediation companies like SERVPRO of Langley exist to help remove the damage for you, so you don’t have to worry about removing a thing. Give us a call and our technicians will do everything we can to get your home back to normal as soon as possible.
Call our SERVPRO office 24/7 for help with any water, fire, or mold issue in your home or commercial property at 778-552-7762
Drying Equipment for Winter Temperatures
THE PHOENIX FIREBIRD COMPACT 20
During normal temperatures we have many machines for drying out our jobsites
However, during the winter months when temperatures can fall down to freezing it’s nice to know we have the Phoenix Firebird Compact 20 at our hands.
It offers a powerful, portable and safe method in drying. The Firebird Compact 20 offers multiple heating, ducting, and electrical options for on-demand heating from the inside or outside the drying space. It can operate virtually anywhere on the jobsite that heat is needed to speed up the drying space.
Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in all of our equipment. The training is ongoing at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications. The SERVPRO training program includes the follow:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
Restoring your Langley Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
Commercial water damage events present unique challenges
Flooding and water damage events at Langley commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Langley
SERVPRO of Langley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists Can Restore Any Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Langley is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for the Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Langley
SERVPRO of Langley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.