Do you have an Odor Problem? SERVPRO Of Langley can help!
SERVPRO of Langley technician taking care of a decomposing odor from one of our Surrey clients.
What is an odor?
Odors are gases which emanate from a source into the air, where they can smell pleasant or unpleasant.
Where do odors come from?
Odors can be released from a variety of sources: Mold, decomposing organic matter, new building materials, incomplete combustion, etc. The first steps are specialists have to determine is the sources identification and location.
Some Principles of Odor Control
Mould improperly removed, it will cause toxic spores to become airborne and make the surrounding air unsafe to breathe. Need professionals to remove and remediate.
Remove as much of the odor source as possible.
Clean-up contaminated areas and safely dispose of infested materials. Penetration (of odor counteractant) into all surfaces and spaces.
Sealing (Sealers lock in or prevent the further release of the unpleasant odor).
Call SERVPRO of Langley 24/7 (778-552-7762)
20 Ways to Protect Your Home from Flooding and Water Damage
How to protect your home in advance of a heavy rainfall
Tips to minimize water damage from a flood
- Ensure your lot is properly graded, so that water can drain away from your basement walls.
- Repair, where possible, sidewalks, patios, decks and driveways that may have shifted over the years, allowing water to pool close to the home.
- Landscape your yard and gardens with plants and vegetation that will minimize soil erosion.
- In the winter, clear snow away from the home’s foundation.
- Consider getting window well covers so that water does not accumulate.
- Make sure your downspouts extend three to six feet, and drain in a direction away from your home as well as your neighbour’s.
- Use a rain barrel to catch runoff.
- Regularly clean and maintain your eavestroughs and gutters so that they’re not blocked.
- Keep storm drains near your home clear of leaves and debris.
- Repair or replace your roof if shingles are deteriorating or missing.
- Hire a licensed plumber to ensure that the weeping tile (also known as a foundation drain) is in good working order
- While your plumber is checking the weeping tile, have them look at the sump-pit and sump pump too (if you have them) to ensure they’re working correctly and not blocked.
- Ask your plumber about installing a backwater valve. A backwater valve is a device that stops water and sewage from coming back into the house during times of heavy rainfall. A backwater valve should be maintained annually.
- Consider investing in water leak sensors and alarms that alert you to possible leaks in the home; some of the more sophisticated models will even turn off the water coming into the house if a problem is detected.
- Keep your floor drains clear of obstructions.
- Seal cracks around windows and in the basement foundation and floors.
- Protect your HVAC system; if possible have a professional elevate the furnace and hot water tank so that it’s not sitting on the basement floor.
- Consider installing shelves in the basement to keep items off the floor. Also, avoid keeping valuables and important documents in the basement; store them upstairs where they are less likely to be damaged.
- Don’t pour fats, oils and grease down your drains; they may solidify and contribute to a clogged pipe—the last thing you need when your system is under distress from a storm!
- During heavy rainfalls, minimize your home water use.
Hope these tips are useful
Any problems call SERVPRO Of Langley 778-552-7762 24/7
Who to Call When Fire Damages Occur
No one ever plans for fire damage to affect their home or business, but if you were to ever experience one, SERVPRO of Langley should be your first call for mitigation and remediation. Having a fire in your home is a life-altering event and your property will be restored "Like it never even happened", back to the way it was prior to the fire.
When a fire occurs at your house or commercial property, it is important to take action to reduce secondary damages left behind by the fire itself and the efforts of the fire department. We value your home as if it were our own because we understand the devastation that our clients are going through. It is overwhelming to know where to begin so don’t wait, call us to help guide you through the process.
Call SERVPRO 24/7 778-552-7762
Spring Waters Around the Corner
Commercial Flood in West Vancouver, BC
The Lower Mainland had a great skiing season this year with the abundance of snow we had on the slopes. This produces a large amount of snow pack on the mountains. This will in all likely hood produce a heavy runoff in the upcoming spring months.
This heavy water saturation means there is a large potential for sub water to penetrate through homes and commercial buildings by the way of foundation walls, basements and crawlspaces.
This can happen in any age of building so whether you have a newer or older structure it is important to periodically check all underground levels for any water intrusion.
You may not be able to stop it entirely but catching it early and a call to SERVPRO can reduce further damage to structure and personal property. SERVPRO will assist by using subpumps to remove the water, sandbags to help reduce further seepage, and dehumidifiers to control humidity until the sub water subsides. So don't fret is you see water in your basement from an unknown source, simply call SERVPRO and let us help you determine the source of the water and give you best the idea for cleaning it up.
Get Home Inspection For Mold BEFORE Purchase
Mold Problem Under Carpet
This local homeowner contacted SERVPRO a little too late.
He had purchased his home with a clean disclosure statement from the seller. However, within a short amount of time it became evident that mold was growing rampant in the kitchen and living room area.
A small leak in the walls had gone undiscovered and was creating the perfect growing conditions for mold to thrive in the warm, poorly ventilated environment.
The homeowner noticed a small wet spot in the corner carpet and pulled it up to see mold growing there. After pulling up more of the carpet he could tell the problem was much bigger than he had hoped for this situation.
SERVPRO workers discovered mold not only under the carpet in to the sub floor but it also ran up the walls in the kitchen and living areas.
Had the homeowner contacted SERVPRO before he purchased the home. A mold air quality testing could have been preformed and then the he could have negotiated the mold remediation in the price of the home.
Mold? Good or Bad?
When people hear they have mold in their home or work space, it usually is followed by fear. Not all mold is harmful and believe it or not we live with mold every day. Some are even beneficial.
Here are some things you might not already know about mold:
Mold can be found almost everywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, clothing, foods, and even in places you can't see, such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.
You cannot completely eliminate mold spores in your home, but you can help prevent mold growth by controlling moisture or controlling humidity, keeping areas free of excess moisture, etc.
The mold that we typically see is not the kind you want hanging out at your home or business. If you suspect mold you can always call us
SERVPRO of Langley 778-552-7762
Commercial Building Safety
Commercial Building in Langley, BC
Whether you own your commercial building or are leasing it from another entity, it is always a good idea to have a safety plan in place in the possibility that disaster should strike.
SERVPRO offers a free Emergency Readiness Plan which will help you to determine the safest and quickest way to handle an unforseen emergency
Call SERVPRO of Langley today to set up a time to meet with one of our qualified personnel to go over the needs of your particular structure.
However, there are some things that you can do yourself to reduce that chances that disaster may strike
Before closing for the day, assign someone to check for the following:
Inspect bathrooms for any running water in sinks or toilets
In cooler weather familiarize yourself with any space heaters that may be in use. If not already done so, unplug them from the wall sockets
When temperatures drop below freezing, set thermostats to an overnight level that will prevent pipes from freezing, ESPECIALLY if this has been a problem in the past
Make note of any tree branches that may be close to windows and have them trimmed down. Strong winds can cause them to either swing in to the window or fall and break the glass
Call SERVPRO 24/7 778-552-7762
Surrey, BC Home After a Fire
We are passionate about helping our customers make their fire damage loss “Like it never even happened.” So no matter if it’s a small kitchen fire or a big wildfire, our team will get you taken care of so you can get back to a safe and HEALTHY state.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? SERVPRO of Langley is here to help with any questions or concerns you might have.
Call Us Today – (778-552-7762)
Be Prepared for A House Fire
Always make sure to go over your plan with all your family members including the young ones as well.
A little over one million home fires happen in a year. It is a very scary and realistic event that can take place at your home. Are you prepared for one? If not, you can contact SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga and we can give you some pointers and handouts on how to prepare yourself and your family if this situation were to ever happen. It is a good idea to always be prepared and to make sure your family is aware of everything as well. Yes it might be a hard topic to talk about with your family members and your children but it is a good idea to have everyone aware of situations like a house fire. The youngest to the oldest should have prior knowledge and know how to react if a house fire strikes. Its never late to be prepared, start this preparation today.
New Revolution LGR Dehumidifier
Revolution LGR Dehumidifier
SERVPRO of Langley is proud to add the new Revolution LGR Dehumidifier to it's equipment lineup. The Revolution packs state-of-the-art LGR technology into the most compact design ever achieved for the restorative drying industry. Pictured in the photo is the new Revo on the left next to a standard sized evolution LGR Dehumidifier.
Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers are needed to remove the remaining moisture from ceiling, walls, and floors of your home or business. Proper drying helps to prevent swelling and warping of floors, walls, and furniture.
- High-speed air movers causes moisture to evaporate at a faster pace.
- Industrial grade dehumidifiers pull the water vapor from the air.
Call our SERVPRO office 24/7 for help with any water, fire, or mold issue in your home or commercial property at 778-552-7762